Thursday, October 6, 2011

Book Review: Guantanamo Boy by Anna Perera



Khalid is a 15-year-old from Rochdale spends his time doing what most boys his age do. He plays computer games and spends time with his friends. He also wishes that he was brave enough to tell Niamh that he cares about her.

He isn’t too excited about going to visit his family in Pakistan, but his mom and dad want him to come with them. So he goes. Khalid’s life turns into a nightmare when he is kidnapped from his aunt’s house and ends up being held for two years, without being charged, in the world’s most notorious prison – Guantanamo Bay.

When I first started this book, I thought I might not like it, because I was getting annoyed with the authors style of writing. The words just didn't seem to flow, and the story was going very slowly, but after he went to Pakistan, I got more into the book and really felt that the story was getting better. There were not too many graphic details about the torture that Khalid went through during his stay at the prison, just enough to give you a glimpse of what he was feeling, but not enough for the book to be disturbing to younger teens. I believe that people should know about the bad things in this world that some of us are sheltered from.

The emotions and trauma displayed by this young man have been portrayed so realistically, I felt like I was experiencing them with him. I don't want to go into detail as it would be more than spoilers, they would ruin the storyline for people who want to read it.

I really commend Anna Perera for writing a book on this subject. This is the first young adult book that I have read that deals with the Guantanamo Bay prison. I think its a very important message read that anyone over thirteen or fourteen should read. 

This book was given to me by the Albert Whitman & Company for review, but this has in no way influenced my opinion of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment